PDA

View Full Version : Visa de Pensionado

Orlando
06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

babygirl
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
hey Orlando, I'm going to move this over to the Visa section.

ranaquajo
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
current requirement for pensionado is 3 salarios minimos... or roughly $800 usd/mo... the investment requirement has changed to $250,000 for real estate... as basis for obtaining the inversionista... i'll let Gator fill you in on the details...

he'll probably have advice about the lawyer and real estate agent as well.....

Gator
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Fist question you need to answer; is it a government pension or from a private company-it does make a difference?

babygirl
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Oh weird... I see what happened. Let me see if I can fix.

Stephen_Aubrey
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
If your a Canadian in Colombia trying to get a pension visa things can get a little complicated and time consuming but was doable because I did it,if anyone is in the same situation I will post but for non Canadians it is not applicable so I will not bother to post unless requested by someone.

Gator
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Orlando, with the change in the law, Decreto 2622 de 2009, if you get a pension and it is 3 times the min. wage per month you can get a visa temporal especial good for 1 year. As far as I know MRE accepts the certification of government pension (571) 315-0811, extension 2422, from 10:30AM to 12M, Monday through Thursday . This can also be done by mail but you need to call the embassy for the exact procedure.
Further question just ask.

PENSIONADO
Certificación expedida por autoridad competente, gobierno, empresa pública o privada, o entidad extranjera o colombiana, en la que conste que el extranjero solicitante de la visa recibe pension . Pensión no inferior a tres (3) salarios mínimos legales mensuales vigentes, la cual si proviene del exterior deberá ser autenticada ante Cónsul colombiano o apostillada, según el caso.A falta del requisito de apostillar o legalizar el referido documento, la misión diplomática u oficina consular del país del extranjero o donde se obtuvo la pensión, acreditada ante el Gobierno de Colombia, podrá certificar que el extranjero recibe una pensión de una entidad pública o privada de ese país por un monto no inferior a tres (3) salarios mínimos legales

Certificate issued by competent authority, government, public or private company, or Colombian or foreign entity, stating that the foreign visa applicant receives pension of not less than three (3) legal monthly minimum wage ,which if it comes from abroad, must be authenticated by Colombian Consul or endorsement, as appropriate. In the absence of apostille or legalization requirement that document, the diplomatic mission or consular office or foreign country where the pension was obtained, accredited to the Government of Colombia (meaning the USA Embassy), may certify that the alien receives a pension from a public or private entity that country in an amount not less than three (3) times the statutory minimum monthly wage. (say roughly 750/800 USD or 1.545.000 COP

Orlando
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I am assuming you mean $800 x 3= $2400 a month which is what closer to teh $2500 I was quoted by someone on this website who e-mailed me. Thank you for the information.

Orlando
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I will receive a government pension plus social security in a year and a half.

Orlando
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I thought this was the Visa section.

ranaquajo
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I thought this was the Visa section.

it is... but you first posted your query in Welcome/Forum Home section... babygirl moved it... i think she lost your question in the process.....

Stephen_Aubrey
06-08-2010, 08:34 PM
I am assuming you mean $800 x 3= $2400 a month which is what closer to teh $2500 I was quoted by someone on this website who e-mailed me. Thank you for the information.

NO....... Gator is talking about the Colombian Min. of about 515.000cop per month so that is X 3 equal to about a total of $800us, which is the amount you most prove.... whoever quoted you $2500 is WRONG and I am speaking from experience from doing this visa this year.

ranaquajo
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
to add to what Stephen says - i think whoever told you it was $2500 was thinking about the old requirements for the Residente Inversionista visa which required 10 times the salario minimo... and i think i screwed up telling you $250,000 in post #3... i believe it's really $200,000 for real estate and $100,000 for other types of investments... but your easiest route is the Pensionado.....

TheeSeer
07-15-2010, 06:00 AM
NO....... Gator is talking about the Colombian Min. of about 515.000cop per month so that is X 3 equal to about a total of $800us, which is the amount you most prove.... whoever quoted you $2500 is WRONG and I am speaking from experience from doing this visa this year.

Do you have to show your income each year? I'm asking because the dollar keeps sinking and while I will qualify now its not by much. Also can you bring in personal items and if so what are the restrictions? Can Pensiandos work?
Thanks

ColombiaGringo
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Many of my clients and friends have ended up waiting for social security letters from the embassy for 1 to 2 months, and they dont certify the income. However, you can get your social security letter notarized, and apostilized and sent to Colombia much faster, in less than 1 week if your in a rush.

You might have to add a few days on to that for the apostille legalization process in bogota, so PLEASE DONT GET IN a situation where your stuck waiting for the embassy.

If you would like more information you can contact james at colombiavisas.com or call 313 390 7109.

cheers!

james ;)

Gator
07-15-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.cancilleria.gov.co/wps/wcm/connect/846da70041488c22b7b5b79cda7b6d30/Formulario+solicitud+Visa.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=846da70041488c22b7b5b79cda7b6d30

I understand you can work but, like the spouse visa, that must be added to the original visa. I also understand there is considerable paperwork involved.

According to the new decree last year:

PENSIONADO
Certificación expedida por autoridad competente, gobierno, empresa pública o privada, o entidad extranjera o colombiana, en la que conste que el extranjero solicitante de la visa recibe pension . Pensión no inferior a tres (3) salarios mínimos legales mensuales vigentes, la cual si proviene del exterior deberá ser autenticada ante Cónsul colombiano o apostillada, según el caso.A falta del requisito de apostillar o legalizar el referido documento, la misión diplomática u oficina consular del país del extranjero o donde se obtuvo la pensión, acreditada ante el Gobierno de Colombia, podrá certificar que el extranjero recibe una pensión de una entidad pública o privada de ese país por un monto no inferior a tres (3) salarios mínimos legales

PENSION

Certificate issued by competent authority, government, public or private company, or Colombian or foreign entity, in stating that the foreign visa applicant receives pension of not less than three (3) legal monthly minimum wage, which if it comes from abroad must be authenticated by Colombian Consul or endorsement, as appropriate. In the absence of apostille or legalization requirement that document, the diplomatic mission or consular office or foreign country where the pension was obtained, accredited to the Government of Colombia, may certify that the alien receives a pension of a public or private entity that country in an amount not less than three (3) times the statutory minimum monthly wage.

Importing:

Sorry, but Colombia is not as friendly as some in this respect. Household goods are subject to customs duties and you can't declare before you arrive but you don't need an import license. DIAN requires certain forms be used and I think the items are subject to about a uniform 15% ad-Valera tax. The household goods must arrive at the national customs area one month before or four months after your arrival date in country.

Customs regulations of Colombia are subject to change at any time so I strongly suggest you consult and international shipping agent to make SURE you have the most up-to-date information. Be sure it is cost effective to bring personal items (furniture, appliances, etc,. etc,) with you or sell there and buy when you get here.

You also might go to DIAN's web site at http://www.dian.gov.co/ and search Ley 488 and look for article 92 which states:

El menaje doméstico que introduzcan las personas no residentes en el país cuando ingresen al territorio nacional para fijar en él su residencia, pagarán un gravamen del quince por ciento (15%) ad-valorem que para todos los efectos constituirá un gravamen o derecho ú nico de aduanas.

My half ass translation: The household items introduced by people who are not residents in the country (Colombia) when entering the national territory to establish their residence, will pay an ad-valorem tax of fifteen percent (15%) and for all purposes this tax shall constitute a customs lien (if not paid).

OhHenry
07-15-2010, 05:14 PM
current requirement for pensionado is 3 salarios minimos... or roughly $800 usd/mo... the investment requirement has changed to $250,000 for real estate... as basis for obtaining the inversionista... i'll let Gator fill you in on the details...

he'll probably have advice about the lawyer and real estate agent as well.....

That's interesting. Only $800 US? Would that be for a couple? Or would that be per person?

I was led to believe that the figure was higher.

OhHenry
07-15-2010, 05:18 PM

So you are telling me that the combined Canada Pension Plan of my wife and me of about $1070 Cdn would do it?

Of course, we have investment income and RRIF income on top of that too.

El_Gato_No_Es_Bueno
07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
The price today is about. $857Canadian per person per month to qualify for a pension visa it used to be 10 times the Colombian min.wage but not anymore.

OhHenry
07-15-2010, 08:32 PM
The price today is about. $857Canadian per person per month to qualify for a pension visa it used to be 10 times the Colombian min.wage but not anymore.

That's good to know.

Factoring in our RRIF (Registered Retirement Income Fund) and dividend income on top of our Canada Pension Plan incomes, it should be no problem.

I assume they will accept verifiable investment income (in my case dividend income)? Is that correct?

El_Gato_No_Es_Bueno
07-16-2010, 01:01 AM
My only experience is with the pension visa is with a federal pension that being said it does not say that you can factor in RRIF,RRSP,Socks,Bonds,Rental income from home country etc... it only mentions the word pension it says:
"receives a pension from a public or private entity of that country in an amount not less than three (3) current monthly minimum wage."

OhHenry
07-16-2010, 01:13 AM
My only experience is with the pension visa is with a federal pension that being said it does not say that you can factor in RRIF,RRSP,Socks,Bonds,Rental income from home country etc... it only mentions the word pension it says:
"receives a pension from a public or private entity of that country in an amount not less than three (3) current monthly minimum wage."

A RRIF would be a private pension.

Gator
07-16-2010, 02:29 AM
That's an MRE Call-run it by them first

El_Gato_No_Es_Bueno
07-16-2010, 02:32 AM
A RRIF would be a private pension.

When I put in for my pension visa it was a statement from the federal government saying that this is a pension,how much I get a month and it is for life.

Are you able to get a statement with that on it with a RRIF?

I assumed when they were talking about a "private entity" they were talking about a private company but I guess it could be a private person as well.I wonder what the visa's office take is on this and what their definition of "private entity" is.Interesting.

OhHenry
07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
When I put in for my pension visa it was a statement from the federal government saying that this is a pension,how much I get a month and it is for life.

Are you able to get a statement with that on it with a RRIF?

I assumed when they were talking about a "private entity" they were talking about a private company but I guess it could be a private person as well.I wonder what the visa's office take is on this and what their definition of "private entity" is.Interesting.

I was self employed almost all of my working life. Our RRIF's, our investments, our CPP, and (in 2 &1/2 years for me and 1 &1/2 years for the wife) our old age security are all we have. It all amounts to a fairly comfortable income for life in Colombia.

If nothing else I suppose I could go for a spousal visa instead.

justaman
07-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I am not advocating that anyone go this route, but at the same time I would hate to see anyone not get into Colombia because they did not meet exactly the criteria. Maybe things have changed, but a couple years ago I could have qualified for a pensioners visa not because I met the criteria but because there was little verification of what the documents said and that there was a mechanism at that time that went all the way to Bogota where the visas are issued that allowed the less qualified to achieve the qualifting level. Obviously it was at additional cost and it clearly is not without risk. I have no idea just how significant the risks are. I was led to believe it was minimal however I never really knew or will know as I did not exercise the option. It should not surprise most of us that have looked at residency in other central american countries to know that in Colombia a couple years ago the documents would allow you qualify for a price.

Justaman